About the Awards
The innovation by Martin Cooper – mobile – has given a compact, packaged power in the hands of the common man making him capable of creating a digital revolution. Considering the significant potential of this innovation in the social development context, the Vodafone Foundation through the Mobile for Good (M4G) Awards, provides a platform to recognise and support mobile innovations addressing social issues in India.
The Vodafone Foundation is committed to addressing humanitarian challenges relating to education, health, equality and access through the power of technology.
In this regard, the Mobile for Good Awards is an effort to recognise, promote and support mobile innovations for driving social change in India. Since 2011, we have recognised 34 diverse NGOs & social enterprises in India. Winning NGOs receive critical funding & mentorship.
The Awards are back for the sixth consecutive year in 2016.
Background of the Mobile for Good Awards in India
Mobile for Good Awards, a flagship initiative of the Vodafone Foundation in India supports emerging mobile solutions with transformational impact on the society. In 2011, the Vodafone Foundation introduced the ‘Mobile for Good’ (M4G) Awards under the framework of the existing mBillionth award, instituted by the Digital Empowerment Foundation (DEF) in India. The awards recognised and supported four best practice NGOs/NPOs using mobile technology in the areas of m-health, m- education, m-governance and m-business inclusion in India, through crucial funding and mentorship.
In July 2015, the Awards launched in partnership with the NASSCOM Social Innovation Forum to motivate and encourage greater innovations in mobile content and service delivery in the socio-economic development space.
- Through two Awards categories, 12 winning mobile technology led innovations by non-profits and for-profits were recognised across the four areas of education, health, women empowerment & inclusive development and agriculture & environment. In addition, Government organisations could apply for special recognition in the Governance sub-category.
- We increased the value of the Awards grant to INR 6,000,000 between five best-practice NGOs/NFPs for life-changing mobile solutions. Each winning NGO received INR 1,200,000 grant monies. Further, we revamped the mentoring programme with NextGen India Pvt. Ltd. offering the winning NGOs with more customized strategic support to upscale their solutions and operations.
Grant (cumulative) and one year mentorship
Objectives of the Mobile for Good Awards
- Set up a sustainable, robust and scalable awards programme in India, highlighting Vodafone Foundation's key focus – 'Mobile for Good' – in India
- Recognise NGOs/NPOs, other social organisations and entrepreneurs that demonstrate innovation in mobile and wireless-related technology, to address critical social issues that are aligned to Vodafone Foundation's strategic focus areas
- Showcase and curate leading mobile technology related innovations in the social sector through the Social App Hub.
- Incubating award winners with credible partners from media, universities, start-ups and incubators, etc., to help them upscale and build capacity of their projects
Recognising innovative solutions for driving social change in IndiaMission
Developing a recognition platform for mobile and wireless technology enabled social innovations that are creating impact in areas of health, education, governance, agriculture and environment, women empowerment and inclusive development.
To support selected innovations of organisations those have potential for scalability and sustainability through funding and mentorship.
The M4G Awards 2016 are supported by
NASSCOM Foundation is a non-profit organization that is building an ecosystem to bring to fruition – Technology For Good.
The Foundation is leveraging the capabilities of IT-BPM member companies of NASSCOM along with emerging social enterprises to meet the technology needs of non-profits and underserved communities across India with continuous support from the Government. By doing so, the Foundation aims to facilitate the achievement of development objectives of all:
- Member companies, by helping them go beyond traditional CSR and exercise strategic CSR as a way of business conduction.
- NGOs, by providing easier access to technology hence increasing their capacity to achieve their ground objectives.
- Social enterprises, by creating an eco-system that supports innovative models for development
And, finally an inclusive India by driving social good through the largest sector of the country. See more at: https://www.nasscomfoundation.org
Grant Thornton India LLP is one of the largest assurance, tax, and advisory firms in India. With over 2,000 professional staff across 13 offices, the firm provides robust compliance services and growth navigation solutions on complex business and financial matters through focused practice groups. The firm has extensive experience across a range of industries, market segments, and geographical corridors. It is on a fast-track to becoming the best growth advisor to dynamic Indian businesses with global ambitions. With shorter decision-making chains, more senior personnel involvement, and empowered client service teams, the firm is able to operate in a coordinated way and respond with agility.
Over the years, Grant Thornton India LLP has added lateral talent across service lines and has developed a host of specialist services such as Corporate Finance, Governance, Risk & Operations, and Forensic & Investigation. The firm's strong Subject Matter Expertise (SME) focus not only enhances the reach but also helps deliver bespoke solutions tailored to the needs of its clients.
For more information, please visit www.grantthornton.in
NextGen, previously incubated at NSRCEL, IIM-Bangalore and TBI, BITS-Pilani is one of India's fastest growing cleantech companies. NextGen operates in six countries with Fortune 500 clients across 16 different sectors. NextGen's passionate team from the best universities across the globe delivers innovative and best-in-class solutions across sectors and geographies. The genesis of NextGen was from a research paper developed at BITS-Pilani when the founders were students then. NextGen evolved into two broad domains of Sustainability Management and Waste to Energy.
NextGen is the pioneer of Carbon Footprint and Sustainability Management in Asia and has worked on first-of-its-kind initiatives including, carbon neutrality for products and companies, 360 degree sustainability strategies, renewable energy policies, amongst others. NextGen's Sustainability and Carbon Management IT tool developed jointly with MindTree Ltd. has been deployed by corporates and cities across the globe to measure, manage, mitigate and communicate their carbon and sustainability performance. NextGen works with clients on LCAs and product carbon footprints, sustainability roadmap, green initiatives implementation and audits.